Sunday, February 24, 2008

22.02.2008


Friday- the one week anniversary of my arrival in Trento! I woke up after having a really weird dream in which I was speaking Spanish. About an hour after I woke up there was someone at the door, and it was a student who used to live in the apartment, and he was stopping by to get his mail. As he was leaving he said “grazie!” (thanks) and I said “de nada!” hahha which is Spanish for “thank you” instead of the Italian word “prego.” It was so odd because I haven’t spoken Spanish since high school!!

I met Joey and Gina in the centre for lunch at the cafeteria (mensa). With your student card lunch is pretty cheap, only about 2.50 euro for a plate of pasta, vegetables, a roll, and drinks. After lunch we walked around for a little while and then I went to Aquila d’Oro to use their wireless internet. The people who work there are very nice. The owner came to say hello and take my order (a caffe and water again). This time my caffe came with a little piece of something that looked like coffee cake, and my water had a slice of red orange in it. Haha.. maybe I’m becoming a regular.

I received an email that said my bus card (tessera) was ready to be picked up at the bus station, so I walked there to pick it up. The lady at the window did not speak English, and I hadn’t planned what I was going to say, so I made up a word.. “applicatzione.” I told her that I had filled out an application for a bus card, but she was a little confused because the word I was looking for was actually “richiesta.” The bus pass is 20 euro a month, which saves money because I take the bus 2-4 times a day at 0,80 euro each time I get on.

I headed back home for dinner and realized that in the five days I had been living in my apartment I had already gone through 1/3 of a good sized bottle of olive oil, 4 big tomatoes, and a huge brick of fresh mozarrella cheese. I really hope I don’t get sick of this food anytime soon! The apartment came with a few dishes, utensils, and pots and pans, and it also came with a small metal thing that makes espresso on the stovetop and I really want to figure out how it works.

No comments: